Memorize instantly all Antiparkinsonism Drugs Mechanism. Learn Antiparkinsonism Drugs Mechanism in depth with our amazingly easy mnemonics for your Exams. Here we are sharing tested Antiparkinsonism Drugs Mechanism mnemonics which will definitely save your time while studying.
Let’s start with 2 things first, what are Parkinson disease and their drug classification: Parkinson is characterized by tremor, rigidity, bradykinesia (slowness of movement) and the loss of postural reflexes.
In idiopathic Parkinson, there is degeneration of the dopamine-containing neurons in the substantia nigra, resulting in dopamine deficiency. Hence, the balance between inhibitory dopaminergic neurons and excitatory cholinergic neurons is disturbed resulting in relative cholinergic overactivity.
Drugs which influence brain dopaminergic system according to there classification:
- Dopamine precursor: Levodopa
- Dopamine agonist: Bromocriptine, Pramipexole, Rotigotine, Ropinirole
- N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist: Amantadine
- MOA-B: inhibitors: Selegiline(deprenyl), rasagiline
- COMT inhibitors: Tolcapone, Entacapone.
The main aim of the drug therapy in Parkinsonism is to either enhance dopamine activity or reduce cholinergic activity in the striatum.
Antiparkinsonian Drugs Mechanism’s Mnemonics
A perfect Antiparkinson drug mnemonics.
1. Be SELective about CAPs and COMbs.
- Selegiline is a selective MAO-B inhibitor.
- Entcapone and Tolcapone are COMT inhibitors.
2. Entcapone can’t enter the CNS. Inhibits only peripheral COMT.
- Tolcapone prevents L-dopa degradation in the brain as well as the periphery.
3. Pex got pin for the dopamine receptor.
- Pramipexole, Rotigotine & Ropinirole are dopamine receptor agonists.
4. “Bro er.. Go to dopamine receptor”
Bromocriptine and Pergolide are ergot derivatives that act directly on the dopamine receptors.
5. Tolcapone crosses BBB and is toxic to the liver.
- Tol = tall (can reach brain)
- toL = L ( liver toxicity)
Hello Medicos, We are Constantly Motivated to Provide You with the Best Medical Mnemonics to Enhance your Learning Experience.
Share this article on your social media handles, that’s all we want. To spread Medicos Ideas among each medical student.