In this Article, we will be sharing Mnemonics for Pneumonia Complications.
Pneumonia is “Infection that inflames air sacs in one or both lungs, which may fill with fluid.”
Pneumonia complications Mneumonics.
“SLAP HER” is the mnemonic to remember Pneumonia Complications.
- Septicaemia – spread from lung parenchyma, can lead to metastatic infection e.g. endocarditis.
- Lung abscess – look for swinging fever, foul-smelling sputum, weight loss, haemoptysis, pleuritic chest pain.
- Atrial fibrillation esp. in elderly may require beta-blocker.
- Pericarditis/myocarditis may complicate pneumonia.
- Hypotension – may be due to dehydration and sepsis-induced vasodilatation.
- Empyema – if recurrent fever, yellowish pleural effusion aspirated.
- Respiratory failure – type 1 is common, act if PaCO2 >6kPa.
Hello Medicos, We are Constantly Motivated to Provide You with the Best Medical Mnemonics to Enhance your Learning Experience.
Hope you liked the Article.