The retina can be divided into 10 layers:
(1) the inner limiting membrane (ILM);
(2) the nerve fibre layer (NFL);
(3) the ganglion cell layer (GCL);
(4) the inner plexiform layer (IPL);
(5) the inner nuclear layer (INL);
(6) the outer plexiform layer (OPL);
(7) the outer nuclear layer (ONL);
(8) the external (outer) limiting membrane (OLM);
(9) the photoreceptor layer (PL),
(10) the retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) monolayer.
Mnemonic for layers of the Retina (within outwards):
“In New Generation It Is Only Opthalmologist Examine Patients Retina”
- I for Inner limiting membrane (ILM);
- N for Nerve fiber layer (NFL);
- G for Ganglion cell layer (GCL);
- I for Inner plexiform layer (IPL);
- I for Inner nuclear layer (INL);
- O for Outer plexiform layer (OPL);
- O for Outer nuclear layer (ONL);
- E for External (Outer) limiting membrane (OLM);
- P for Photoreceptor layer (PL),
- R for Retinal pigmented epilium (RPE) monolayer.
That’s it, for this topic guys.
Hello Medicos, We are Constantly Motivated to Provide You with the Best Medical Mnemonics to Enhance your Learning Experience.
We are sure that this article “Simplified Retinal Layers Mnemonics for Medical Undergraduates And USMLE”, will help you a lot with your studies.
Till then Brainy Medicos, keep sharing Medicos Ideas because it motivates us a lot!!